About Me

My photo
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, United States
I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. In the meantime, I am going to chew a big wad of bubble gum just for fun, take more pictures, write a picture book, and hang out with my puppy dog.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

NOV 21 Voicemail & Texting

Today, I am thankful for voicemail and texting.

Voicemail and texting; it is the best way to avoid having to talk to someone you really don't care talking to. Yes, I know my voicemail greeting says, "I'm sorry I can't take your call right now...blah, blah, blah...leave a message and I'll call you back." I think that is an acceptable standard greeting for voicemail.

What I really want it to say is, "I'm sorry I can't take your call because it's YOU that's calling. But leave me a message so that I won't hear it until a week later, if I even remember." And if your phone number shows up as "Unknown" on my caller ID, don't expect me to even acknowledge that phone call. I won't even let it go to voicemail by itself. I will decline it before it gets to the second ring. I figure, if it's that important, you'll leave a message.

Obviously, my rant would only make sense if people actually called me.

Text me instead. I'll respond, maybe. And if I do, it is NOT a signal for you to call me, unless my text says, "Call me." Texting lets me talk to you without really having to listen to you. The only problem with texting is that sarcasm doesn't come across as obvious. How I wish sarcasm came in a font. (I wonder if Siri can help me with that?)

I will text you even if you are in the same room.

So, if you ever call me and I can't take your call, don't feel bad if it goes to voicemail. I'm probably doing something really important like sleeping or just letting your call go to voicemail. I'm being considerate and I'm just trying to conserve YOUR minutes.

BLAHG you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment