About Me

My photo
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, United States
I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. In the meantime, I am going to chew a big wad of bubble gum just for fun, take more pictures, write a picture book, and hang out with my puppy dog.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

ER Dogtor's Visit

Last night I had to visit the emergency room. Not for me, but for my puppy dog, Lilly. After playing in the park earlier in the day, I noticed Lilly had been limping around the house and not putting weight on her back left leg during the night. I immediately thought, "OH MY GOD! SHE'S DYING!" Without hesitation, I called K9-11 and asked for an ambulance to come pick us up to go to the 24HR Emergency/Critical Care facility just a few miles down the freeway.

When we got to the emergency room (via my own transportation because apparently there isn't an ambulance service for injured puppy dogs, unless you're some giant, exotic, on-the-extinction-list animal) and managed to make our way through the incoming arctic front, we were greeted by a black cat statue on the registration counter inside the lobby. To my surprise, as we got closer to the counter, the black cat statue actually greeted us with a warm, "MEOW!" It was not a statue. It was real!

My first thought, who leaves a cat in a medical facility? That's just not hygienic. Someone needs to clean and sterilize in here. Then I remembered that I was at an animal hospital. Luckily, Lilly didn't go after the cat. (Chino would have chased it around the entire hospital causing a lot of equipment damage.) Lilly couldn't run because she was limping it. Besides, she was inside her pink Burberry carry-on carrier wearing her khaki with pink-piping trench coat to match.

This is Lilly waiting in the ER in her carrier wearing her trench coat.


This is Chino. Need I say more?

Once the "Dogtor" saw us, she said Lilly's patella, or knee cap, was popping out of place, but didn't appear to have ligament tears. She recommended some NSAIDs and pain pills and limiting her activity. (Good luck with that!) If after a few days she continues to have the same issues, I would have to take her back and have them reevaluate her again. Sometimes it can be repaired surgically. (I'll sell the house if I have too so they can keep that knee cap in place.) The dogtor said it's hereditary. I blame it on my mom with her bad knee. 

Lilly has been walking around, taking it easy. On occasion, she won't put weight on her leg when her knee cap pops out. Then when it's back in place, she's limping it, trying to play. My poor puppy dog.

BLAHG you later!


No comments:

Post a Comment