About Me

My photo
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, United States
I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. In the meantime, I am going to chew a big wad of bubble gum just for fun, take more pictures, write a picture book, and hang out with my puppy dog.

Saturday, March 5, 2011

1611 King James Bible

Hello again,

I wanted to talk about the picture of the Bible verse on the sidebar. I am excited because I think it looks awesome. Here's the story.

The picture is from a copy of an original 1611 King James Bible. These original Bibles used blackface type (Old English letters) rather than Roman type (what we use today). Eventually, they switched over to the Roman type. Spelling back then was not as standardized as today, so it makes it a difficult read. Nevertheless, I find it interesting. The copy I have is 9"W x 11"H x 3.5"D and weighs about 10lbs. An original replica would be 12"x17.5"x5.5" and weighing ~30lbs.

Roman numeral chapters
Ornate first letters of chapters 
Inside title page

What I find exciting is that with my iPhone I can take pictures of verses and edit them on an app and come up with something like this:

1 Corinthians 9:22-23 
John 3:16

John 3:16 has an example of the unstandardized spelling. I think these photos give the verse even more character. I find them very interesting to look at, then again, I am a very visual person. If a book doesn't have pictures or illustrations, I find it hard to concentrate. I don't know how I made it through school.

If you are in the market for an ORIGINAL old bible, or if you just want to have a little history lesson on bibles, check this website out. Some bibles go for hundreds of thousands of dollars up to millions.

www.greatsite.com

What my camera couldn't do, my iPhone camera and app stepped in and did. Just goes to show that sometimes not all interesting photographs need to come from professional cameras.

BLAHG you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment