About Me

My photo
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, United States
I am still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. In the meantime, I am going to chew a big wad of bubble gum just for fun, take more pictures, write a picture book, and hang out with my puppy dog.

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Enjoying Art

Hello One and All,

I miss enjoying art. I remember when I used to draw everyday when I was a kid. I even drew while I was in class (not art class either). I remember one time in class waiting for the teacher to write on the  chalkboard in the back of the room so that I could run up to his desk and steal some blank white sheets of paper to draw 18-wheeler trucks on. I would draw two or three a day during class. I feel bad for stealing his papers. I feel worse for making fun of his dentures that sometimes would fall out of his mouth when he was screaming at us because we were behaving badly. That class was one bad class, and we were the good class. We were so bad, the principal of the school made the entire class stay for detention one day, including our teacher because he couldn't handle his class. I think we pushed him into early retirement.

April showers bring May flowers, and allergies.
Somewhere along the way, the path to my childhood dreams became blurred and other things began to take focus. I was stuck thinking, "All that paper I stole and trucks I drew for what? For nothing!" Art has been the easiest thing that I've known to do. Some people are good at science. Others are very good at Calculus. They don't have to think to solve problems. Me? I did have pretty good grades throughout school. However, Art was the subject that came easiest to me. It just clicked. I miss doing that.

I'd take a nap here if I was a bee.
Shiny stuff just hypnotizes me.
Adult world sucks when you have bills to pay and mouths to feed (granted they are puppy dog mouths, but they're still mouths to feed.) Fortunately, I can say that my job offers me the financial flexibility I need to pursue my art dreams once again, and it also offers me the time for that pursuit. I just need to retrain my muscles to be able to convey the mental images into something visually concrete.

Me and my fake tattoo.

This is the last major art work that I did. It's a life-size, self-portrait in charcoal and pencil. I did this in December 2001.

Who knows where I would be if I had followed my art dreams. If I had a chance to do it all again, I wouldn't. My appreciation for art now is great because I did not have the luxury of doing what came easy to me. Art never evolved into a career for me. But now, I will enjoy it as a hobby. Who knows, maybe someday it will become a second career for me. Nothing is ever too late to do.

BLAHG you later!

No comments:

Post a Comment